You grab your trusty mower, brace yourself, and give a hefty pull… and then another… and another.
Sounds like a real buzzkill, right? The thing is, wrestling a pull-start mower should count as a workout.
But who needs that when all you wanna do is get your green lawn looking spiffy?
Well, I’ve got the dirt on the best electric start lawn mowers.
- Up to 65 minutes run time on a single charge when used with the two included EGO 56V 4.0Ah ARC Lithium batteries
- Variable Speed Self-Propel: 1.3 MPH to 3.1 MPH
- 6-position cutting height adjustments: 1.5"- 4"
- 3-in-1 function: mulching, bagging, side discharge
- Quick and easy push-button start
- Bright LED headlights; 1-handed height adjustment
- Weather-resistant construction & Folds for compact storage
We’re talking the cream of the crop that’ll have you saying goodbye to pull-start woes and hello to push-button bliss.
We’re about to dive into the world of electric start mowers, where starting your lawn duties will be as easy as flipping on a light switch.
Table of Contents
Best Electric Start Lawn Mowers
I’ve compiled a list of the best electric start lawn mowers for you to explore.
These top-notch mowers will make your lawn maintenance a breeze.
I think the Greenworks 40V 16″ Cordless Electric Lawn Mower is an awesome choice for small to medium yards, offering an eco-friendly and efficient mowing experience.
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40v push lawn mower provides the power you need with up to 45 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 4.0Ah battery. The battery completely charges in 120 minutes. Brushless motor : No
- LIGHTWEIGHT, EASY TO USE – A lightweight 16” cutting deck allows for easy maneuvering through small to medium yards (up to ½ acre) more efficiently. Easy push button start and lighter weight make it a great choice for your lawn.
- VERSATILE – Battery powered lawn mower has a single lever 5-position height adjustment with a cutting height range from 1-1/4" to 3-3/8" for the best cut in all environments. The 2-in-1 feature offers versatile use with mulching and rear bagging options.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This walk behind lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil and no emissions. It starts instantly and is quiet but delivers gas-like power for your toughest projects.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Versatile with mulching and rear bagging options
- Maintenance-free and eco-friendly
- Not suitable for larger yards or heavy-duty tasks
- Takes 120 minutes to fully charge the battery
- May struggle with mulching leaves and small twigs
As someone who’s always on the lookout for easier and more efficient ways to maintain my yard, I recently tried out the Greenworks 40V 16″ Cordless Electric Lawn Mower.
I found it lightweight and easy to maneuver, making my yard work more efficient and enjoyable compared to my old gas-powered mower.
Thanks to its easy push-button start, I don’t have to worry about pulling a cord to get it running.
The single lever 5-position height adjustment feature allows me to cut my grass at the perfect height, whether I need a close trim or a slightly taller look.
Additionally, it offers versatile use with both mulching and rear bagging options, catering to my specific lawn care needs.
However, I noticed that this lawn mower may not be the best choice for larger yards, as the 4.0Ah battery only offers a runtime of up to 45 minutes.
In addition, the battery takes 120 minutes to fully charge, which can be a bit time-consuming if your yard requires multiple mowing sessions.
One downside I encountered is that it doesn’t mulch leaves and small twigs as efficiently as I had hoped.
Nevertheless, as long as I stay on top of my yard work, the overall performance is satisfying.
The Greenworks 40V 16″ Cordless Electric Lawn Mower is a fantastic option for an eco-friendly and efficient mowing experience, especially for small to medium yards.
However, if you have a larger yard or frequently deal with leaves and small twigs, you might want to consider another option or invest in a separate mulching tool.
The Honda HRX217HZA GCV200 Versamow System is a reliable and efficient electric start lawn mower suitable for various mowing conditions.
- Microcut twin blades ensure enhanced bagging and mulching
- 3-position handle and 7-position cutting height adjustment
- Deck made from rust-resistant polymer composite for durability
- Mower features hydrostatic cruise control: simple, precision speed control
- Electric start - self-charging simple, effortless key start
- 4-in-1 Versamow System with Clip Director
- Easy electric start with self-charging battery
- Hydrostatic cruise control for adjustable speed
- A bit heavier compared to other models
- Defective cam shaft reports from some users
- Difficulty maneuvering in tight areas
After unboxing my new Honda HRX217HZA GCV200 Versamow System mower, I couldn’t wait to try it out.
I was most excited about the electric start, hydrostatic cruise control, and its 4-in-1 Versamow System that allows me to mulch, bag, rear discharge, or shred leaves without needing any tools.
As I started mowing, the self-charging battery and electric start made it easy to begin my lawn care routine.
Honda’s Micro-Cut Twin Blade System ensured a clean cut, while the hydrostatic cruise control allowed me to adjust the mower’s speed according to the mowing conditions.
I found the NeXite deck to be quite durable, even when tackling thicker grass and small obstacles.
Despite its many features, I noticed that the mower feels a bit heavy, making it challenging to maneuver in tighter spaces.
This is particularly noticeable when compared to my previous Honda mower.
I’ve also come across some user reviews mentioning a defective cam shaft, although I haven’t personally experienced this issue.
Overall, the Honda HRX217HZA GCV200 Versamow System offers an array of advanced design features that make lawn mowing more efficient.
While it may have some drawbacks, I still found it to be a reliable and powerful option.
If maneuverability and weight are not your primary concern, this mower will likely serve you well for years to come.
Get ready to enjoy quiet, powerful, and hassle-free mowing with the EGO Power+ LM2101 cordless lawn mower.
- Up to 45 minutes of run time on single charge with the recommended 56V 5.0 Ah ARC Lithium battery
- 6-position cutting height adjustments: 1.5"- 4"
- 3-in-1 function: Mulching, bagging, side discharge
- Quick and easy push-button start
- 21" deck
- Quiet and powerful performance
- Up to 45 minutes of run time on a single charge
- Easy push-button start and adjustable cutting height
- Slightly heavier than some competing models
- Cutting efficiency might be slightly lower than gas mowers
- Battery might degrade with frequent heavy use
I recently had the pleasure of using the EGO Power+ LM2101 21-inch cordless lawn mower, and I must say, I am rather impressed with its performance.
It offers a lot of power without the noise, mess, or fumes that come with traditional gas mowers.
Unlike my old gas mower, the EGO Power+ LM2101 starts with a simple push of a button, making it a breeze to use.
The mower has an adjustable cutting height that ranges from 1.5 to 4 inches, allowing me to easily customize the look of my lawn.
Plus, its 3-in-1 function (mulching, bagging, and side discharge) offers flexibility depending on my lawn care needs and preferences.
On top of that, the EGO Power+ LM2101 has a sleek and lightweight design that makes it easy to move around and store when not in use.
On the other hand, after using this mower for a while, I did notice that it’s a bit heavier than some other electric mowers on the market, largely due to its powerful 56V 5.0 Ah battery.
While this weight can be somewhat cumbersome, it’s worth noting that the mower’s performance more than makes up for it.
Additionally, the cut quality might not be as clean as a traditional gas mower, but it’s still efficient and gets the job done for most grass types.
Overall, although it’s slightly heavier and might not match the cutting efficiency of some gas mowers, I believe the EGO Power+ LM2101 cordless lawn mower is an excellent choice for those seeking a powerful, eco-friendly alternative to gas-powered mowers.
Its quiet operation, easy push-button start, and adjustable cutting height make it a user-friendly and efficient mower that I would gladly recommend to others.
If you’re looking for a powerful, easy-to-use electric lawn mower with little maintenance, Greenworks Pro 80V is an excellent choice.
- GAS-LIKE PERFORMANCE - Provides up to 60 minutes of run-time with 2 fully charged 80V 2.0Ah batteries (varies based on grass condition and operator technique)
- TRUBRUSHLESS MOTOR – 2 x more torque, more power, longer runtimes, quiet operation, and extended motor life
- VERSATILE – Single lever, 5-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments. The 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, and rear bag grass clippings and side discharge.
- MAINTENANCE FREE – This push lawn mower is virtually maintenance free, with no gas, no oil, and no emissions. Push button start, quiet operation, and delivers gas-like performance
- Long-lasting battery with up to 60 minutes of run-time
- Quiet and efficient brushless motor
- Versatile with a 3-in-1 design for mulching, bagging, and side discharge
- Not self-propelled
- May need more than one charge for lawns larger than 1 acre
- On the heavier side at 79.5 pounds
As someone who swapped out my noisy and cumbersome gas mower for the Greenworks Pro 80V, I can confidently say that this lawn mower has exceeded my expectations.
The brushless motor not only provides a quiet and smooth operation, but it also delivers the same power and performance as a 160cc gas engine.
I recently used this lawn mower on my half-acre lawn, and I was pleased with its high-quality cut and versatile adjustments.
The single-lever height adjustment made it easy to find the ideal grass height for my lawn, and the large 10-inch rear wheels handled rough terrain with ease.
However, one downside I noticed is that for larger lawns, you may need to charge the battery more than once.
I haven’t had this issue on my smaller lawn, but for those who have lawns larger than an acre, it could be a concern.
Another aspect to consider is the mower’s weight – at 79.5 pounds, it’s not the lightest option on the market.
That being said, I didn’t have any trouble pushing it, likely due to the well-designed large rear wheels.
The Greenworks Pro 80V 21″ Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower is an exceptional electric mower that delivers a powerful and efficient performance.
Although it has its minor drawbacks, in my experience, the pros have far outweighed the cons.
I also highly recommend the Makita XML03CM1 Lawn Mower Kit for those who want a reliable, powerful, and environmentally-friendly mowing experience.
- No gas, emissions, oil mixing or pull starts with reduced maintenance and low noise levels.Deck Width : 19"
- Cuts over 1/3 acre in 43 minutes or less with four 18V LXT 4.0Ah batteries
- Commercial-grade steel deck; BL Brushless motor delivers up to 3,300 RPM
- Quiet mode reduces noise by providing constant speed control at 2,500 RPM
- Cutting Height Range : 13/16" - 3"
- No gas, oil mixing, or pull starts required
- Cuts over 1/3 acre in less than 43 minutes
- Commercial-grade steel deck
- Heavier than some other cordless mowers at 80 pounds
- 18-inch cutting width may be small for some lawns
- Price may be a concern for budget-conscious buyers
I recently got my hands on the Makita XML03CM1 36V Brushless 18” Lawn Mower Kit, and I have to say, I’m quite impressed with it as well.
This mower is powerful, efficient, and has reduced noise levels, making it a pleasure to use.
The fact that it runs on batteries also means no more gas, oil mixing, or pull starts – a huge plus for my environmentally-friendly approach to lawn care.
With four 18V LXT 4.0Ah batteries included in the kit, I was able to mow over 1/3 acre in less than 43 minutes, and I still had some battery life left.
I appreciate that the mower has a commercial-grade steel deck, making it more durable and reliable in the long run.
Adjusting the cutting height was also a breeze, with a range of 13/16″ to 3″.
The folding handles and 16-gallon capacity grass collector made storage and disposal of clippings easier too.
That being said, there are a few drawbacks to consider.
The mower’s weight (80 pounds) is on the heavier side for cordless mowers, making it slightly more challenging to maneuver.
The 18-inch cutting width might not suffice for those with larger lawns who want to complete mowing tasks quickly.
Additionally, this mower is more expensive than some other cordless options, so it may not be ideal for those on a tight budget.
Overall, I think the Makita XML03CM1 36V Brushless 18″ Lawn Mower Kit with 4 Batteries is a fantastic option for those seeking a zero-emission, low-maintenance, and efficient lawn mowing experience.
Its power, ease of use, and solid construction make it well worth the investment for me.
What To Consider Before Buying An Electric Start Lawn Mower
When looking for the best electric start lawn mower, there are several features to consider that will help you make the best choice for your needs.
Let’s look at the key factors to pay attention to when choosing a lawn mower.
Battery vs. Corded
Electric start lawn mowers can either be battery-powered or corded.
Battery-powered models offer more portability and convenience, while corded models are usually lighter and provide consistent power.
It’s essential to weigh the pros and cons of each type to determine which is best for your yard size and needs.
Power and Performance
The performance of an electric start lawn mower is typically measured in watts or volts.
Higher numbers indicate more power and better cutting capabilities.
Consider the size of your lawn and the type of grass you’ll be mowing to determine the power you need.
Cutting Width and Height
The cutting width of a lawn mower determines how much grass it can cut in a single pass.
Wider cutting widths will allow you to finish mowing faster, but may be more challenging to maneuver in tight spaces.
Additionally, look for a mower with adjustable cutting heights to accommodate various grass lengths and desired lawn appearance.
Weight and Maneuverability
Electric start lawn mowers are often lighter than gas-powered models, making them easier to push and maneuver.
However, battery-powered models can be heavier due to the battery’s weight.
Consider your strength and yard’s terrain when choosing a mower that is easy to handle and won’t cause undue strain.
Some electric start lawn mowers come with extra features like mulching capabilities, rear bagging, or side discharge.
Assess which of these features might be useful for your specific lawn care needs before making a decision.
By carefully considering these factors, I can confidently choose the best electric start lawn mower for my lawn care needs without the need for specific brands or products.
Keeping these features in mind while shopping will ensure that I invest in a mower that will make my lawn maintenance tasks easier and more efficient.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the most reliable electric start mower brand?
In my experience, some of the most reliable electric start lawn mower brands include Honda, Toro, and EGO.
These brands have consistently received positive reviews for performance, durability, and overall customer satisfaction.
However, it’s important to research and compare specific models in order to determine the best fit for your needs.
What’s the battery life for electric start mowers?
Battery life for electric start lawn mowers does vary by the model and battery capacity of that model.
Generally, a fully charged battery can provide up to 45 minutes to an hour of continuous mowing.
However, some high-capacity batteries can last up to 2 hours.
I recommend checking the manufacturer’s specifications for the specific battery life of the mower you are considering.
What’s the best self-propelled electric start mower?
I find that the EGO LM2102SP 56-Volt Cordless Walk Behind Self-Propelled Mower is a top contender for the best self-propelled electric start mower.
Its brushless motor delivers plenty of power, it has a 60-minute runtime, and a 21-inch cutting deck.
Additionally, the mower offers a wide range of cutting heights and easy storage with its foldable design.
What is a recommended USA-made electric mower?
For those who value American-made products, the Greenworks Pro 80V 21-inch Cordless Electric Lawn Mower is an excellent option.
Manufactured in the USA, this mower features a brushless motor, 60-minute runtime, and a 21-inch cutting deck.
It also offers easy, tool-less assembly and a vertical storage option.
Can You Convert a Pull Start Mower to an Electric Start?
Yes, it’s possible to convert a pull start mower to an electric start, but the process can be complex and requires some mechanical expertise.
You’ll need to purchase an electric starter kit compatible with your mower’s engine, which typically includes a starter motor, mounting bracket, solenoid, battery, and wiring.
The installation process involves disconnecting the old pull start mechanism, mounting the new electric starter, and connecting the electrical components.
If you’re not confident in your mechanical abilities, I recommend consulting a professional for assistance.